French Immersion at
Speak a Louisiana Heritage Language that is also an important International Language
Bravo! Choosing an immersion experience for your child gives them distinct advantages for the rest of their lives. In this environment, students’ brains make more connections enabling them to think more creatively and become excellent problem-solvers. Students in immersion environments generally outperform students in traditional classrooms on standardized tests and have increased social skills. They grow healthy brain tissue which will keep their brains active and alert for a longer period of their lives! An investment in immersion is an investment in well-being and achievement.
Students are instructed in English plus another “Target Language,” in this case French, during their PreK-12 learning journey. In immersion environments, students are exposed to a minimum of 60% of their day in the “Target Language” you select. They learn math, science, social studies, language and culture, plus much more.
Immersion is not only for the best and brightest. Immersion is for every child.
Some other benefits include:
- Entry points in PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st grade via the Magnet Academies lottery;
- Access to an International Language Diploma program beginning in 5th grade, the DELF;
- Access to the Seal of Biliteracy, an academic endorsement for their high school diploma;
- Possible FREE language course credits when entering a college or university.
*Students who are currently in a Pre-K Immersion environment must apply for lottery by the lottery application deadline to receive pathway priority into Kindergarten.
French Immersion Pre-K students may apply for French Immersion at any French Immersion school (Evangeline, Myrtle Place or Prairie).
While in middle school, students may earn French I and French II credit before entering High School.
Transportation is provided for our Immersion students throughout the district, depending on bus and bus stop availability. If your family requires transportation assistance, please verify the availability of convenient satellite stops near you.
- French Immersion 5th grade students will automatically be enrolled in Middle School Immersion at Paul Breaux Middle.
- French Immersion 8th grade students will automatically be enrolled in High School Immersion at Lafayette High.
*Students only receive pathway priority in the same language.